Create a New Repository
Create a free Git repository and choose between public and private permissions so you can share your code with the world or only share it with your fellow developers.
- Choose between a public or private repository
- Import an existing repository into your new repository
- View activity via an activity stream and email notifications
- Web-based code browser with full syntax highlighting and easy to use merge request workflows
Free Git Hosting You Can Rely On
Over 800,000 users have chosen Assembla to accelerate their projects and manage their code. Assembla's servers and Git Repositories are hosted in datacenters with world-class physical security and firewalling, and all accounts now come with 128-Bit SSL Encryption (HTTPS).
Your repositories are housed in a Storage Area Network with built-in backup and redundancy with triple failover protection. In addition, we synchronize to off-site backups to protect you against worst-case scenario data-loss where all datacenter systems fail permanently.
When you choose a free private Git repo, you can keep your intellectual property safe from prying eyes; only those you invite to be a member of your space can see your code, and you can even set IP-restrictions for your subversion repository to restrict usage to specific computers and networks.
- Best in Reliability
- Best in Accessibility
- Best in Features
- Best in Innovation
- Best Free Offer
Feature-Rich Git Hosting
Our free Git repositories also include some great enhancements to make managing codebases large and small both easier and more productive.
Web-Based Beautiful Code Browser
View changesets, diffs, and examine your source code - complete with syntax highlighting - directly from your brower and save yourself some time. With our beautiful code browser you can:
- Changeset browser - see what is new, and what is changed.
- All commits are linked to Assembla user profiles and reports.
- Browse your source code with syntax highlighting and image rendering.
- View as a Web Page - Instantly see your HTML pages rendered as web pages with images, CSS, and JS. Speeds Web design.
Team-Unifying Activity Stream
The Assembla Activity Stream gives you a single location in each space to stay up to date on the changes being made to your code within each of your individual repositories.
- Multiple notification formats: Email, Web and RSS views of all events, including commits.
- Integrated with Assembla's Ticketing system
- Use commit comments to link changesets to tickets. View related tickets from the code browser. View related changesets from your ticketing tool.
- Add the webhooks tool and even notify external systems after each commit.
Fork & Merge for Git
One of the Golden Rules of managing code with a version control system is: Commit Often. Fork & merge for Git will empower your team to commit more often with more confidence that they won't break the codebase for others working in the same Git repository.
- Create an isolated copy of your Git Repository with the click of a button.
- Browse inside current forks of your project from the Forks page of your Git Repository.
- Merge Requests - You control what code makes it back into your main branch with merge requests. Merge only the code you want back in your main project.